Saturday, December 6, 2008

Muppet eyes and fish lips

Of all the stupid mistakes I've made, this one takes the cake. In a tired daze I mixed up the toothpastes and brushed my teeth with Crest with Scope. It took a second or two for me to realize my mistake after the Sonicare had spread the toothpaste throughout my entire mouth. Those seconds were enough time time for all the corn hidden in that little tube to turn me into the new Food Allergy Muppet.

Despite furious gargling, rinsing, spitting and much repeating, all the corn did its work. Inactive Ingredients: Hydrated Silica , Sorbitol , Glycerin , Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate , PEG-6 , Disodium Pyrophosphate, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Flavor , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Alcohol 1.14%, Xanthan Gum , Sodium Saccaharin Carbomer 956, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Benzoate, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Benzoic Acid, Domiphen Bromide .0002 wt%, Titanium Dioxide, Blue 1 , Yellow 5.

I thought by now I had seen all the bizarre reactions I could have, but trying to join the cast of the muppets is a new high, or low. I'm still not sure. I've discussed this with a few people and our guess is that combination of the corn alcohol in the scope and the Sonicare turning everything into a fine mist the culprit in this one. Along with the usual swelling of the airway, lips, tongue, blah, blah, blah, my tear ducts swelled up so the tops and bottoms of my eyes stuck out like muppet eyes. Muppet eyes and fish lips, not a look for the faint of heart. This was topped by the beautiful beast I became in the morning, the swelling migrated to give me enormous bags above and below my eyes, basset hound style. By the time I made it into work, I had perfected a mournful howl to go with my new image.

The safe toothpaste normally use is Adwe Labs Cool Mint Gel, Kosher for Passover so it is corn free for sure.

2 comments:

Stephanie Krespach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. This company is very helpful via email and seem knowledgeable about what is in their products and what it is derived from. Their xylitol is derived from birch, not corn, according to the person who helped me. I have been using their fennel toothpaste for many months(which she said is the only one they make, besides Silly Strawberry, that is corn-free). No reaction at all, and I react to any minute amount of corn-derived ingredients, so I do trust them. Hope this is helpful to someone!
--Dottie Pendleton