Monday, May 18, 2009

Pay Attention

All weekend something has been bothering me, just nagging at the edge of my consciousness but never coming into focus. It finally resolved itself before I stumbled into the shower this morning. Wrong bar of soap. It had been sitting on the counter, still wrapped, all weekend. Kiss My Face Olive Oil and Aloe has fragrance in it, the pure olive oil bar is fragrance free. I was on autopilot in the store, thinking about trying to get more protein in my diet and grabbed the wrong bar. Not a big deal for most people, but fragrances generally have some corn content and make my head pound at the very least. I was blaming my little headaches over the weekend on all the exciting pollens in the air as spring is finally in full bloom, not on mini-exposures to corn! I’m not sure what would have happened if I had used it, but spending the day scratching is never a good start to the week.

After I threw the offending soap out of the bathroom, I had to laugh at the chagrined look on my face flashing across the bathroom mirror. Starting the day with a mini-Zen lesson on attentiveness was better than a morning latte. I’d like to think I have it dialed in on the basics, that I can safely breeze along on autopilot. Pay attention my lesson for today. And tomorrow.

No comments: