Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Getting out of food jail

After I wrote about being over food (getting your veggies from canned soup can do that to a gal) I read post on the Delphi forum by someone who said they felt like they were in food jail since there is so much that is off limits when what is gas ripened or waxed is poisonous when you have a severe corn allergy. I've been in food jail. It was not a nice place, but...now..

I have my GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card! I have a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) winter share at a wonderful local farm. I wrote them an email about how pathetic my diet was, what I am allergic to, why the grocery store is not safe and begging to buy half a share or any extras that were available -- I was really wondering how I was going to make it till the farmers market opened here if I couldn't get in. I got teary eyed when I opened the email saying I was in for a winter share, plus the a full summer share and an egg share! Fresh picked veggies from a local organic farm. What could be better?

In the winter, we get a box every other week, in the summer it is every week. Oh the yum, yum, yum of it all. I can look at people at work eating processed, packaged, frozen foods and feel pity for what their lunch tastes like compared to mine. BIG change. Before that I was smelling their food and listening to my stomach growl. Not any more! I've been doling out the baby radishes like candy this week, they are so tasty.

If you don't know what a CSA is...read this
If you need to find one near you go to http://www.localharvest.org/ (hurry up, summer shares are filling up).
This week I am eating:
Mixed Salad Greens
Collard Greens
Mushrooms
Onions
Potatoes
Turnips
Baby Radishes
Spinach
Chervil

For dinner I chopped up a bunch of mushrooms, tore up a little spinach, and put it in a big bowl of hot water with a little soy sauce and an egg. Microwave for 4 min. Et voila! Fresh soup for supper. Life is good again.

BTW this is not an April Fools post. There really is food out there for you even with a severe corn allergy, you just need to find your farmer and/or start putting in a garden. Simple, fresh and local is the key to get out of food jail.

1 comment:

Omelette Recipes said...

Awesome blog you havee here